Advertisement

protein milkshakes?

topic posted Fri, June 30, 2006 - 11:24 PM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
Does anyone make protein milkshakes and if so what do you add to it and what protein powder if you add that?
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Re: protein milkshakes?

Sat, July 1, 2006 - 12:48 AM
    Lately I've been making my shakes with as little anything else as possible. I make a thick paste. Slam it. And follow with lots of water. The more shakes I have the more vile I find them. The ones that taste ok usually have all kinds of crap I don't want (like sugar).

I vary between egg white and whey and soy powders. The all taste awful.

When I was more ambitious I'd use milk and bananas to try to cover the taste...

Sat, July 1, 2006 - 11:04 AM
      toffee whey powder, banana and if you need the fibre soya bran is good.

my friend at work was talked into trying tuna milkshake.....it was not good it seems. no kidding?!

i'm all about the whey. goes well if you use it instead of milk on oats too.

Wed, November 29, 2006 - 6:19 AM
      Please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi can anyone help me, my boyfriend thinks that there is some kind of egg cutter that turns the egg into powder after its been boiled, cause he feels that if you just put the boiled egginto the blender it don't mix properly ?

Is he talking rubish? X x x x x
  • J
    J
    offline 24

Re: protein milkshakes?

Sat, July 1, 2006 - 3:06 PM
    Hum..well..whey is the best protein for your buck (much better than egg, and soybean isn't as good as egg or whey). When I do take a shake, here's my receipe:

**recipe**
    1 serving (just one of those cups) of vanilla yogurt (this is important, because it doesn't conflict with the chocolate).
    1/4 cup of oatmeal (minute ready).
    teaspoon of peanutbutter (the real peanut butter, peanuts/salt, not Skippy with lots of sugar).
    1/2 teaspoon of flax meal (ground flax).
    1/2 teaspoon of almonds (cut almonds).
    1 serving of chocolate whey protein (you can get good quantities from GNC).
    1 cup of fat free milk or 1% milk.

**blend until mixed**
    pop in 6 ice cubes...

(*blend to a slurpy**
    drink while cold.

The last one is most important because most protein powders taste like shit alone, powder. I mean let's face it, you want it to taste as good a possible and hide the griddiness of the protein powder. The oatmeal does that, as does the cold from the ice cubes. I think most of those drinks taste like "protein drinks." You want to fool your taste buds to think that you're drinking a "drink" and not a "protein drink."

Good luck.
    • J
      J
      offline 24

Sat, July 1, 2006 - 3:09 PM
      Just so you know, all protein (as a person said before) all taste like crap. You want a good quality (the GNC brand is actually quiet good). But, you want to "cover the protein" with something else--whether it's fruit or chocolate or vanilla. I like chocolate and vanilla and peanut butter, so that's best for me. But, it's also about texture, because the whey itself has a gritty taste, that's why flax fiber, nuts, oatmeal and peanut butter (all with essential amino acids and really good fiber) really work well.

Sat, July 1, 2006 - 11:54 PM
        'dymatize' whey = no shitty gritty texture. and no aspartame. although the berry does look like pepto bismal.......tastes good tho! 'specially with oats.

Sun, July 2, 2006 - 2:14 PM
    I've been using the Cytosport Whey protein powder and think it's quite good - no chalky taste I've heard others talk about, and it actually does disolve pretty well. I add some psyllium husk fiber to it (GNC sells it as "Colon Cleanse", which is a gross name but it's a very nice fiber additive), which I add for the fiber but it also thickens it up (though some might describe it as adding a slimy texture) but doesn't seem to change the flavor. I prefer the Vanilla and Cookies & Cream flavors, but my wife likes the Cocoa Bean better. We haven't tried the other flavors. She mixes it with soy milk (usually the unsweetened kind), which I'll sometimes do but I also take a 32 oz. Ziploc screw-top container to work for an afternoon snack (they call them "Twist 'n Loc") with the whey and fiber powder, and sometimes some All Bran to add a few carbs. I just add water from the fountain since it's nice and cold and give it a quick shake. It shakes up well without needing a blender or special shaker (the Ziploc top stays on very well and seals liquid in better than the shaker I got). In the past I've made shakes with a banana, but you need a blender for that. I've also added a few dried blueberries or cranberries, but they settle to the bottom if you don't use a blender, so you have to eat them afterwards with a spoon (which I don't mind, but it a bit less convenient). I've also added the whey powder to oatmeal (we get Bob's Red Mill steel cut or Scottish oats rather than the rolled oats) and shredded wheat, which is quite good. The Cytoport powder does have artificial sweetners ("sucralose"), but that's not a problem for me.

HTH

Dana
    • J
      J
      offline 24

Sun, July 2, 2006 - 2:28 PM
      One thing to remember though when you're talking about protein milkshakes...you want to also include natural products, and it's important to include fiber within the protein shake. Fiber is an essential part of a diet (and keeps you from having cancer, just because it's fiber, not because it's just interesting). So, the more fiber you can get, great. Whole strawberries (the seeds are fiber), oats (really good fiber), flax (also some fiber), raspberries/mulberries/blackberries (fiber), whole oranges (fiber), get the picture? Don't use one of those "juicers" because while they're good for juice (you still get lots of the vitamins, they reduce the dietary fiber that you need to clean out your system. So, if you can include fiber within your protein shake, GREAT! (even if you have to put in a cup of raisin bran--also good fiber). Don't dismiss breakfast cereals, etc. They also include fiber (if they're not completely processed).
      • J
        J
        offline 24

Sun, July 2, 2006 - 2:32 PM
        Also, from personal experience, you can use a high quality yogurt to really beef up the protein that milk provides. When I do protein drinks, I usually put a cup of yogurt and a cup of milk...this really "BANGS" out the dietary protein ,with minimal calories. Just remember, these whey and protein drinks give SERIOUS CALORIES. And, if you're working out to get definition, then it's 1 cal in for 1 cal used. Unless you're doing this to weightcgain (meaning you're already buff and want to definite and pump up), I'd really concentrate on "adding" good natural goods to the protein powder rather than concentrating on the protein powder itself. Also, fats are not all the same. It is good to add certain fats to your protein= flax, peanuts (nonsalt), almonds, walnuts, because they add really good amino acides, and they add THE TASTE TRANSMITTOR -- otherwise known a FAT (which will make you want to drink the protein drink or the long haul. Want to know why everyone who eats completely fat free stuff is completely overweight, because without fat, their stuff is tasteless (becuase there is no fat to transmit the taste of the product and satisfy the brain/stomach continuum).
        • J
          J
          offline 24

Sun, July 2, 2006 - 2:34 PM
          If you use the protein powder as an ADDITIVE to pump up the power of the drink, you'll do fine. If you use it as the complete basis of your drink, good luck, but you might end up with a tasteless meal. But, what do I know, practically nothing really.
        • J
          J
          offline 24

Sun, July 2, 2006 - 2:38 PM
          Oh, and when I mean adding fats...almonds, etc., I just mean a teaspoon or two, nothing realy big. You'd be surprised how a litle goes a long way. And, the purpose is not to really taste it all, it's just to add the benefits that each give to the dietary nature of the drink (and to heighten or add to the main taste of the drink - whether it's chocolate, vanilla, berry, and apparently tuna. One bad thing about Tuna, MERCURY. You eat tuna, you might as well be sucking on a broken thermometer. (actually, some is okay, it's just not really advised to use it as the basis of your dietary program, especially for pregnant women because it will give them mercury poisoning).
          • J
            J
            offline 24

Sun, July 2, 2006 - 2:40 PM
            But, if you decide to eat TUNA, just remember, that you're eating every dolphin that tuna has come into contact with in the last 6 months. hahhaahahah.

Sun, July 2, 2006 - 11:44 PM
              tasty homemade "icecream" - protein shake...

cup of frozen mango chunks,
              40 grams of vanilla whey protein powder,
              4 almonds or spoon of flaxeed powder,
              4 oz water,

blend & enjoy

I find it to be a delic alternative to same ole shake.

Mon, July 3, 2006 - 11:41 AM
                and the laziest whey shakes......

add water from free vendor at work and drink.

for me, any protein in the day is an achievement!

like the sound of the mango though.....fruit is great.....unless it's an apricot.
                • Unsu...

Fri, July 14, 2006 - 12:07 PM
                  I just got this great new protein powder called 100 percent whey and its chocolate mint, the flavor is so good and it has alot of great reviews and taste great.

Wed, March 21, 2007 - 8:16 PM
    two scoops lowfat chocolate soy protein mix, 1 banana, 1 tablespoon peanut butter, 4 ice cubes, and 8 ounces of rice milk. Makes a mighty tasty protein shake tastes great.
  • Unsu...

Fri, June 8, 2007 - 10:30 PM
    hi everyone...1st post here.

Does anyone make protein milkshakes and if so what do you add to it and what protein powder if you add that?

I use BALANCE (R) whey protein powder: I use it wilk milk or water.

with milk i add:
    1 - 2 tablespoons of peanut butter with it.
    1 egg (yes including the yolk)
    1 tablespoon of LSA mix (linseed, sesame, almond 33% each)
    if im using water
    I just add 2 scopps of ice cream with it and lots of ice

sometimes i just use plain protien shake or add/minus each ingredients, depends on how i feel.

Recent topics in "Bodybuilding & Fitness- The Natural Way!"